I had so much fun playing with this set, Scene in a Garden, because it's such a great set to experiment with shading. I tried a new technique, watercoloring with the Stampin' Write Markers, and I'm so amazed with the results. Its going to change my whole approach to coloring outline-style stamp sets like this one.
There's a great tutorial on watercoloring with markers at Julie Buhler's Paper Pleasing Ideas. For you visual learners, here's Julie Buhler's video.
I started by watercoloring the bench with Creamy Caramel classic ink and then I used a Close to Cocoa marker along the edges and where the natural shadow would appear. I used the aqua painter again to blend the two colors together and then to remove some color and create highlights.
The shading is really dramatic when you use coordinating colors.
- Close to Cocoa creates great shading for Creamy Caramel;
- Not Quite Navy and Baha Breeze worked for the Daddy boots, bird and bird house;
- Always Artichoke and Mellow Moss made cute baby boots;
- More Mustard, Really Rust and Summer Sun created great clay pots.
You can find more color combinations with our Color Coach (105796).
When I showed this card to my husband (I have him very well trained to always respond with Ooh, Ahhhh), he said, Ooh, 3D. With all the shading, curled paper and popped-up images, it really does have a lot of dimensions.
You can order any of the items I used any time by clicking here.
And, guess what – with the new "Get Connected" promotion, for each $40 you spend on Occasions mini catalog products, you can order any one "Under $10" product (see page 208 in the Spring-Summer Idea Book & Catalog) absolutely free.
- Stamp Set: Scene in a Garden (113246), Congrats (Sale-a-bration).
- Paper: Taste of Textiles (113991), Manchester (112464), Always Artichoke textured cardstock (108696), Baha Breeze textured cardstock (111345), Watercolor (105019)
- Classic Ink: Baha Breeze (111833), Creamy Caramel (103220), Mellow Moss (102774), Robin Hood Red (111836), Staz-on Jet Black (101406)
- Stampin' Write Markers: Close to Cocoa (100072), Not Quite Navy (100059), Always Artichoke (105113), Really Rust (100073), Summer Sun (100077), and More Mustard (100076).
- Accessories: Kraft Corduroy Button (114340), Kraft Taffeta Ribbon (109068), Mellow Moss Taffeta Ribbon (109069), Natural Hemp Twine (100982).
- Tools: Crafters Tool Kit (104310), Cutter Kit (106958), Stamp-a-ma Jig (101049), Color Spritzer Tool (107066)