Grandmas don't just say "that's nice" —
They reel back and roll their eyes and throw up their hands and smile.
You get your money's worth out of grandmas.
Grandma's are so special aren't they. I have such sweet, sweet memories of my Grandma Ethel Heaton (Mom's Mom) and Grandma Flora Black (Dad's Mom). Grandma Black made dresses for my doll babies and taught me how to darn socks on her sleepy porch. I can still see her strong fingers crafting a beautiful edge on her pie crusts. Grandma Heaton would navigate us around the country roads to her homestead in search of mushrooms and pussy willows talking the whole way about the days when she called the square dances. I can still see the homemade egg noodles drying on her kitchen table. My Grandmas always made me feel like they'd been waiting to see just me all day and I made their days complete.
I love how this image by Mo's Digital Pencil captures the pure bliss in the Grandmother's face – she's just lost in the joy of a dance with her grandchild. Ah . . . Grandma's are so special!
I used the Sketch for Mo's Dream Team February Guest Spot and, for inspiration, the soft colors and buttons from the Cupcake Inspiration Challenge #47. You KNoW I love Cupcakes! I don't know how Rachel Hope finds all these incredible cupcakes – check out the ones that inspired this challenge:
In honor of her sewing-themed cupcakes, I sewed the edges of my background paper and plaid strip. And, lastly, I followed Lauren Meader's tutorial over at Copic Creations Challenge #22 to color my lavender and gold ribbon to match my paper.
Here are the Copic markers I used.
The sheet music is from an old Baptist Hymnal I found at the Goodwill for 25 cents (what a find!). I sponged it with Stampin' Up!'s So Saffron Ink, and Stamped it with Stampin' Up! background stamp, Sanded, again using So Saffron Classic ink.
Most of this image is paper pieced – yes I did a Lot of cutting! If you've never tried the paper piecing technique, here's tutorial I wrote a while back.
- Embellishments – EK Success Jolee's Jewels Crystallized Swarovski Elements Heart Lock and Key charm (what a mouthful). Chatterbox* Junkitz buttons.
- Fibers – Stampin' Up! 5/8" Satin Ribbon in Whisper White. Chatterbox satin ribbon colored with Copic Markers Y21 and BV02. Wrights Classics Lace (from JoAnn Fabrics).
- Ink – Copic Markers (see above). Stampin' Up! So Saffron Classic Ink.
- Paper – Neenah Solar White Ultrasmooth Classic Crest 80 pound cardstock. Chatterbox Parlor Scrapbook Walls*
- Stamps – Mo's Digital Image Mummu and Me. Stampin Up! Sanded
- Tools – Martha Stewart border punch, Creative Memories corner rounder punch, Nestabilities Classic Ovals Large.
*I bought these Chatterbox papers and embellishments years ago. I love them – the papers have this lovely linen look. Unfortunately, I honestly don't know if they're still available anywhere.
Hugs . . .