Proper Dress for the Kitchen: Jewelry should not be worn in the kitchen. Wear a cotton wash dress or a cover-all apron with a pocket for a handkerchief. Have a small hand towel that buttons on band of dress or apron. Have two pot holders fastened together with tape and attach to dress or apron. Wear washable cap that covers the hair.
~ The Settlement Cook Book: The Way to a Man's Heart, 1947
Mr. Catered Crop has five brothers and sisters who each live in different states. Seriously, six siblings and six different states. So every two years one of the sibs takes turns picking a location and hosting a reunion. And, let me tell you, it's like a cult – none of us has missed one yet in 16 years. We didn't dare while their parents were alive, and now, well, we just don't. We've had too much crazy fun in the past, and besides, if you don't come, we get to talk smack about you for the next two years!
My Favorite Things, one of my guilty stamping pleasures, asked would-be guest designers to "get personal." No, I'm not going to share my most embarrassing moment with you (bicycle tumble sans underwear – TMI!). Instead, I interpreted the challenge by personalizing a gift for our family reunion hostess, JoAnn.
A thank you card (outside):
(inside) . . .
Embellished bottle of fancy Clementine dish soap (before):
(and after) . . .
And a custom clothespin to hold her recipes:
JoAnn is a magician in the kitchen, like her Mom. And, let me tell you, Mom McClain always insisted on aprons in her kitchen. I still have a few of them, which I'm tucking in my suitcase for JoAnn. I hope JoAnn will get a kick out of seeing her monogrammed hat and apron on her kitchen-themed gifts, but I think she'll get a bigger kick out of seeing her Mom's aprons again.
- Paper – Lillybee Design Happily Lost and Picket Fence, Stampin' Up! Sahara Sand and Dusty Durango), Bazzill, Neenah
- Stamps – My Favorite Things PI Fresh from the Oven
- Color Mediums – Memento ink, Copics, Stampin' Up! Sahara Sand Classic Ink, Stampin' Up! Pastels
- Fibers – Stampin' Up! Basic Grey Taffeta Ribbon, SU Linen Thread
- Tools – My Favorite Things scallop and fish-tail banner Die-namics, sewing machine
- Embellishments – Stampin' Up! buttons
- Miscellaneous – Clementine Kitchen Soap, Canvas Corp Clothespins, Modge Podge
- Sketches/Challenges – My Favorite Things Guest Designer Contest MFTGUESTDT0611 (wish me luck), My Favorite Things Wednesday Stamp Club MFTWSC22.
JoAnn is taking us all back to where we all grew up for this year's reunion. It's been a decade or more since some of the brothers and sisters have been back to their Indiana homestead. I can't wait to visit the old haunts: Musgrave Apple Orchard; Bloomington's Kirkwood Avenue, Trojan Horse and Nick's English Hut; Brown County State Park; Lake Monroe . . . I'm looking forward to all the family fun but mostly I'm looking forward to precious time with dear people. Oooo, and all good cooking from JoAnn, Linda Jean, Dave, Steve, Paul, and, well, you get the idea. Mom McClain taught her children well!