My Favorite Things Teaser Day 4 – Perfect Pinwheels

Liberty is the breath of life to nations.
          ~George Bernard Shaw

Happy 4th of July! I had so much fun with this new pinwheel Die-namics and stamp set, that I almost didn't make the deadline to get it posted for teaser day 5. Honestly, I could have played with these all weekend.

It's Day 4 of the Teasers. It's way too dry in Texas for fireworks, but there's plenty of excitement going on with the MFT releases. Be sure to leave comments as you look around through all the MFT designers' blogs because, yes, there are Prizes!. Here are the details about the upcoming release on July 5 at 10 PM EST:

• The My Favorite Things release is on July 5 at 10 PM EST. You can attend the release party from 8-10 PM EST here in the forum for fun, games, and prizes! All the new sets and dies will be available July 5 at 10 PM EST.
  • The guest designer contest is ON! Check out the forum for details on how YOU can win over $100 in stamp sets and play along with the Design Team for a month.
  • If you'd like to see all the teasers for today, please click on over to Kim's blog NOW! Be sure to leave comments as you go for a chance to win one of two $10 vouchers being given away daily, just for leaving a comment. Check Kim's blog every day for the winners.

This die set is amazingly easy to use. And, a word of warning, once you get started you won't be able to stop! Here are some tips I learned, or what I call, my FPDD (fuzzy photo/dirty desk) tutorial. (Just click on any of the pictures to enlarge them.) I use an upside down brad method to make the pinwheel.

You'll need the following ingredients:

• Two pieces of paper measuring at least 4-3/4" by 4-3/4". Two-sided works great. Have fun mixing and matching.
  • A basic brad.
  • A stem. I used a wooden dowel rod (1/8" around by 12" long long). It was easy enough to cut them down to size with some craft scissors. You can also use a Wilton lollipop stick, a straw or, if you're attaching your pinwheel to a card, just use a ribbon or a thin paper piece.
  • The set comes with some adorable centers. If you want to embellish the center even more, grab a button and/or ribbon..
  • Adhesive: a glue dot for the center embellishment and sticky tape to attach the stem.
  • And, most importantly, your die-cutting machine and My Favorite Things Perfect Pinwheels Die-namic and set.

Let's really look at this pinwheel Die-namic. There are two different kinds of holes in the die: poke holes and construction holes (not official names, just what I call them). The six teeniest holes are for you to use if the paper gets stuck in the die after you cut it out. You just use a paper piercing tool, stick pin, or voodoo doll pin to poke the paper out of the die. The other four not-so-teeny holes are used to construct the pinwheel.

When you lay the die onto the paper, whichever side is facing up and into the die is the side that will be the inside (and most prominent) layer.

Run your two pieces of paper through the die cut machine. After you release the paper from the die, if all four of the "construction holes" aren't open, use a pin to stick into the hole and unclog it.

Lay your two pinwheel pieces together so they are offset and glue them together only where they meet in the circle. When they're perfectly offset, you'll see six little teardrops around the center circle. Turn the two pieces over and put a brad in the back facing toward the front.

Turn the pinwheel back to the front and leave the brad closed. Start loading the brad by threading each of the six petals onto the brad working clockwise.

After you have all six petals on the brad, keeping the brad closed (I opened for illustration purposes), add the center embellishment piece by threading it onto the brad.

Now you can open your brad and all your petals and center piece will be secured. To cover up the upside down brad, I added an embellished button, adhering it to the center piece with a large glue dot.

I'm not sure this is the best way, but to secure my stem to the flower I rolled it in sticky tape and then added another piece of tape over that.

Now, all you need is a cupcake!

Catered Crop Recipe

Here are the My Favorite Things Die-Namics I used to make my card and the rest of the recipe.

• Stamps – MFT Perfect Pinwheels
  • Paper – Kraft, Stampin' Up!, and October Afternoon (Thrift Shop, Fly a Kite and Togetherness)
  • Color Mediums – Memento ink
  • Fibers – May Arts Ribbon, DMS Floss, Seam Binding
  • Embellishments – Maya Road Alterable Buttons, KaiserCraft Pearl Flourishes, basic brads, October Afternoon buttons,
  • Tools – MFT Die-namics: Perfect Penwheels, Jumbo Scallop, First Place Award
  • Miscellaneous – 1/8" by 12" wooden dowels, Ranger Distress Stickles

1. So pretty! Love the colors and the cute pom pom ribbon! And the
    cupcakes look soooooo yummy!

2. Gorgeous Linda!

3. WOW – Linda – the colors on the card are perfect!! So many pinwheels … so much fun :)

4. Gorgeous pinwheels – love the card especially.

5. OMG, CUTE CUTE CUTE! I love the colours and all the elements you used! Thanks so much for sharing!

6. Starqueen says:

Hey Linda,
    Great tut! Thank you for putting that together. And all of your papers/projects are just delish!

7. Heather Sparey says:

Love the card but adore those pinwheel in the cupcakes, so so cute :)

8. Wow, just love your project! Love the pinwheel in the popcorn kernels!

9. I like all of your neat pinwheel projects! They look great in the jar … what a cute summer or party deco. As a large, funky pick in a cupcake … so clever. And your card is adorable. Love those pompoms! :)

10. Love it! The pinwheels are great!

11. Candi Cissel says:

Oh “get out oftown” Linda your creations are absolutely amazing, so perfect for a summer party! What?? Did you make those yummy cupcakes to match? You clever girl you!

Hugs,
    Candi

12. So many cute ways to use the pinwheel and thanks for the great tutorial.

13. I’m overwhelmed at your gorgeous papers Linda!! Amazing selections!! And such a diverse array of design elements. Just STUNNING!!

Crafty Hugs!
    Meredith

14. Megan Lock says:

There are a million things to love about this post!! Awesome tutorial, awesome card (love the poms poms), awesome jar (love the popcorn! I could go ON and ON!!

15. Wow love your projects!! Thank you for the tutorial :)

16. How did you know I have a voo-doo doll? :)

17. Holly AKA KopyKat says:

OMG, no wonder you were almost late, wow, fabulous!! And thanks for the tutorial, I love helpful hints and directions. These are so cute and I love your ideas for them.

18. Such a fun use of the pinwheels, Linda!

19. How gorgeous, Linda!!

20. Your pinwheels are awesome! Thanks for the great instructions!
    Do the pinwheels actually turn?

Anne

• Anne, My pinwheels don’t turn because of the way I attached them to the wooden dowel. My wooden dowel was so little (1/8″ around), I was afraid a little nail/brad would split it. I think you could try attaching the pinwheel to a straw with a brad and then you could make it spin.

21. This project is truly amazing Linda! Love it!

22. Susan M. says:

Love the darling papers you’ve chosen. The idea of using the pinwheel as a cupcake topper is perfect!

23. Beth Norman says:

These are drop down gorgeous. Your card is a beauty with the pinwheel.

24. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your projects! The cupcake toppers are such a brilliant idea!

25. Andrea M. says:

I love this new die set!! Love all the ideas from everyone!

26. Dee in N.H. says:

I so love your pinwheels! This die is amazing!

27. Leslie W says:

OMG! I am filling my Mason jars with popcorn kernals and baking cupcakes! I LOVE your projects. They are just fabulous! And my mind is already thinking about birthday cupcakes, Halloween cupcakes, Christmas cupcakes, Valentine’s cupcakes…those pinwheels are a MUST HAVE.

28. So many uses for the pinwheel. You’ve made a wonderful display. Love it.

29. Cute projects. Love it!

30. Love the pinwheel as a cupcake topper! Too stinkin’ cute!!

31. Well done, Linda!! These are amazing projects! Love them so.

32. Such creative projects! Love the pinwheels!

33. Great tutorial! thanks for sharing!

34. Cynthia O. says:

Wow, fantastic projects with the pinwheel die Linda! Thanks for the tutorial as well.

35. ADORABLE doesn’t even begin to describe these! LOVe them all!

36. I love the tutorial! Great job, Linda!

37. Lorrie Riley says:

Love the pinwheel die, can anyone tell me the size and can it be used in a cuttlebug?
    Thank you.

38. Lisa Henke says:

oh, my! this is one beautiful post! that for the great how-to with the pin wheel die-namic. Loooove your paper choices…so beautiful!

39. COMPLETELY adorable!! All of it is GORGEOUSNESS!! And those cupcakes…yummy!

Trackbacks

1. Jumbo Pinwheel Adds says:

[...] My Favorite Things Teaser Day 4 – Perfect Pinwheels I had so much fun with this new pinwheel Die-namics and stamp set, that I almost didn't make the deadline to get it posted for teaser day 5. Honestly, I could have played with these all weekend. It's Day 4 of the Teasers. Just use any of the ingredients in the sample project, add some of your own spice and cook it up your way. All the details are at the Catered Crop Recipe Party home page. The current party began on June 26. Our Top Chef designers will [...]