Rock and Roll Playlist

Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me.
   ~ Billy Joel

Rock On Altered Cassette Case and Card

Remember these?

Tape

When Mr. Catered Crop and I were dating we listened to vinyl records and cassette tapes, because, oh dear, CD's, iPods, and iTunes hadn't been invented – establishing once again that I am vintage – but not antique. The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle and Leo Kotke were on our play list. (Still are.)

Mr. CC's birthday is this week, so I have a present for my classic Rock Star.

RockStarPresent

Check it out. I raided one of the tape cases and altered it using the crazy fun, new stamps and Die-namics by My Favorite Things illustrator Laina Lamb. You can find all of Laina's stamp sets here and her Die-namics here. These tributes to Rock and Roll will be there after the My Favorite Things release party on March 11.

CassetteCoverFr2

Since just about any cassette tape we have in our house is at least 20 years old, I went with an aged, vintage look (yes, that's me).

The sentiment is from the new stamp set Document It – Rock On. It's stamped with Black Licorice ink, embellished with black rhinestones and framed with the Well Worn Greetings Die-namics.

When Mr. CC turns the cassette case over, he'll see this.

CassetteBackFr

The sentiment is stamped with the luscious new ink, Electric Red (available March 11 here).

And, here's the spine with a sentiment from the Journal It – Playlist stamp set.

SpineFr

Mr. Catered Crop's gonna think he's tripping when he sees the rest of this . . .

The cassette tape inside is actually a card. The Accent It – Cassette Tape Die-namic is the exact size and has all details of an actual cassette tape.

CardInsideCaseFr

I hope you can see all embossed details in this picture.

Here's the inside of the cassette card.

LetsPlayFr

I don't want him to be disappointed that his cassette tape look-a-like doesn't have any new music for him to jam with; so hidden behind the card is this.

GiftCard

That's an iTunes gift card tucked into the Gift Card Pocket – Horizontal Die-namics.

Tips & Techniques

When I was making the insert for the case I discovered that, while cassette sizes are standard, the cassette cases are not. If you're using a cassette tape that already has an insert, just cut and score your cardstock to match the cases' insert.

I just raided our supply, but I also found a site on Amazon that sells just the cases for you (see below). My insert measures 4 1/8" inches long by 4" wide. I scored it at 2-5/8" and 3-1/8" from the top.

Score2

Add black rhinestones, glitter, staples, and die cuts from the Rock and Roll Die-namics to add a little punk rock vibe.

Here's how I made this card.

CassetteShapeCard

• Cut a transparency sheet 4" by 5-1/4" (or use the 4" by 5-1/4" Die-Namic in the new Blueprint 1 set).
  • Score and fold the transparency sheet at 2-1/2" from the top and 2-1/2" from the bottom so there's a 1/4" spine in the middle.
  • Use the smallest circle in the Circle STAX 2 Die-Namic to make four holes to line up with the two holes for the spools in the middle of the cassette. Without the holes, the card won't fit into your case. The holes can be a little larger than the actual holes in the Cassette Die-namic because they'll be partially covered.

Your transparency sheet should look something like this (not to scale).

Cassette Card Template

• Using the Cassette Die-namic, cut out four cassettes from black cardstock.
  • Glue the four Cassettes to the front and back, top and bottom of the card so they line up. The easiest way to line them up is to eyeball the four tiny circles in the corners. When it's open and you have all four cassettes glued into place it will look like this.

OpenCardFr

• Use the Playlist stamp set and Cassette Tape Die-namic to create your cassette label. I used the Electric Red ink – so dramatic.
  • Cut out two more cassettes and, following the embossing lines, cut out the part where the tape runs through the tape player.

Trim

• Use pop-up adhesives to add this piece to the top of your card. Color the outside edges of the pop-up adhesives with a black marker first so the white pop-up adhesive won't glare like a neon sign when you hold the card sideways.

BlackPopup

Now you're ready to Rock On!

Here are the sets being revealed today. You can check out what the other designers have created at the My Favorite Things Blog. Be sure to say hey as you visit everyone for a chance to win some gift certificates.

LainaLambDesignRockandRoll

LainaLambDesignPlaylist

And, here are the rest of the ingredients.

Other ingredients: American Crafts black twine, My Mind's Eye Kraft Funday 6" x 6" Designer Paper Pads; Recollections Glitter Cardstock; Copic Marker 100 (Black); Recollections Adhesive Rhinestones (Black).

I'll see you later with some more crazy fun stuff. Till then . . . Live Loud!

ItsYourPartySet

1. Brilliant idea to turn this into a gift card holder! Love the vintage look!
    Karen Motz recently posted . . . MFTeaser – Mix of the MonthMy Profile

2. Cheryle says:

Love, love your cassette gift card idea! This wonderful!

3. Yes this is awesome love it, what a great idea, he is going to love it. Thanks for the tutorial

4. these are so great, love it.
    Holly AKA KopyKat recently posted . . . Paper Pierced GerdieMy Profile

5. Christine Dearinger says:

Fantastic idea…thanks for sharing.I love it that you are vintage and not antique….I can releate to those words of wisdom Linda.

6. Clarissa says:

Great tips for a fantastic project. Thanks for sharing!

7. Awesome project!

8. What an awesome project! Love it.

9. WOW!!! Seriously….WOW!! So creative!! Brilliant project!!
    Tracey recently posted . . . Just for fun….My Profile

10. Super cool!

11. Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! And did I mention, wow! This is incredible. Such a fabulous, wonderful creative idea. I love, love, love it! And did I mention, I love it!! Awesome!

12. Amy Rohl says:

Can I tell you how COOL this is?! I don’t think so, because I can’t tell you how COOL I think this is! Stunned. So.Cool. Ü

13. WHAT A GENIUS IDEA!!! I LOVE IT! PERFECT FOR THE iTUNES GIFT CARD. …….OK, NOW I NEED THIS ONE TOO:)
    AMY ELY recently posted . . . NEW RELEASEMy Profile

14. Jenny S says:

Wow! This just blew me away! Wonderful job- and I am sure Mr. CC will love it, too!

15. sweeet project! great idea!
    Alina I recently posted . . . Tattered flowers and a changeMy Profile

16. Linda, I do so APPRECIATE all the details in how you made this fabulous project! The instructions are clear and easy to understand, so much so that I would feel comfortable making this, which is really saying something if you knew me. (grin) Thanks so much for sharing this with us!

17. Love this, such a CUTE idea!!
    Margie Visnick recently posted . . . There Is Nothing So Lovely…My Take On a Shimelle SketchMy Profile

18. Love love love love it!!! I grew up with Vynal and tapes too and I still have them and a player to play them on LOL. THis is a fantastic Idea!!! I may borrow it for my hubs 50th birthday in November!!! Amazing job!

Hugs;
    Shari
    SHARI GREEN recently posted . . . OCS March Challenge – Anything GoesMy Profile

19. Rosemary D says:

OMG… how absolutely cool!!! Mr. CC will definitely flip when he sees this!!

20. This is so adorable! I love your idea and how it all came together. Great little cassette card.
    Cindi Flass recently posted . . . DaffodilsMy Profile

21. Wow, Linda, you really did a fantastic job with this project. It really rocks.

22. Lisa P. says:

That’s awesome! What a FAB idea!

23. Such an awesome card!

24. What a fun set… Gonna be a huge seller totally

25. Liz scahefer says:

So mcuh fun… This is such a great idea… Boy it dates me that’s for sure…

26. Angela R. says:

Way cool, chica! Love these new sets and die-namics!

27. Oh My!!! Mr. Catered Crop is going to flip!!!! I guess I am vintage too…records and cassette tapes and 8 tracks too!!!! Was just talking to FIL about playing Johnny Cash Ring of Fire on a bright orange 8 track tape while cleaning my room, and dancing just a bit too!!!!!! Your project is absolutely fabulous!!!!! You are a creative genius!
    AngieB recently posted . . . Speedy Fox & Friends 149 – Joy FoldMy Profile

28. Thanks for the AWESOME tutorial Linda! I love that you had a photo of an ACTUAL cassette tape to compare it to (I have dozens of mix tapes and still play them) – didn’t they get the font SPOT ON?!! I can’t wait to get my hands on these products myself!!
    Crafty Math Chick recently posted . . . My 200th Blog Post!My Profile

29. WOW!~ You R amazing!~ LOVE THIS!!
    Rachel Gaugler recently posted . . . Blessed!My Profile

30. I still have some of my Actual Cassette Tapes, but I’m laughing now, because I don’t have a darn thing to play them on. LOL! I refuse to part with them.
    Felicia recently posted . . . I {Heart} YOUMy Profile

• Felicia – You’re hilarious. I guess tape players are going to go the same direction as typewriters. Can you believe it? Thankfully, we still have a boombox or two lying around so I can still get my Simon & Garfunkle on.

31. I totally thought it was a real tape at first!!! You rock GF!

32. A SERIOUSLY FANTASTIC project Linda – just LOVE it :)
    Lyndal recently posted . . . Pinkspired…My Profile

33. Such an original way to give a gift card, love how you’ve used the cassette die :0)
    Jenny x
    Jenny M recently posted . . . Framed Flowers and Homemade Ink Blending ToolsMy Profile

34. Loving your creation for today!! All of the added details really make it shine!! Such a creative idea like usual !! Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend!! ;)
    Larissa Heskett recently posted . . . Penny Black Inc. Challenges!! =)My Profile

35. LINDA!!! this is fantastic. your cassette looks so realistic. I love it.
    Lisa Henke recently posted . . . Day 5 -MFT March Teasers {welcome Spring}My Profile

36. Very clever. Love everything that you did. That cassette tape is great.

37. This just might be the coolest card EVER! E.V.E.R. Flippin genius!
    Paula Laird recently posted . . . Black TieMy Profile

38. Fantastic! What a wonderful project!

My DH has a huge collection of tapes that he recorded as a teenager – these stamps and die are just perfect!
    Deborah Frings recently posted . . . WMS Christmas …..My Profile

39. If I made this fantabulous mixed tape for my husband’s birthday he would instantly approve all MFT new release purchases for 2013. L-O-V-E!!!
    God’s blessings on your day,
    Sarah :)

40. Omgosh! This is awesome! The card looks just like a cassette! Shhhh, don’t tell, but I still listen to a few of my favorite cassettes.

41. That is so darn cool!

42. I’m thinking I agree with JanR – this really rocks! Love the whole concept and yes, I still have a whole library of cassette tapes around and no, we don’t play them anymore but we do listen to the CD’s occasionally of the same artists! HB to the man.
    Susan Hogan recently posted . . . I’m 9 off having 100 followers on Google Friend!My Profile