Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me.
~ Billy Joel
When Mr. Catered Crop and I were dating we listened to vinyl records and cassette tapes, because, oh dear, CD's, iPods, and iTunes hadn't been invented – establishing once again that I am vintage – but not antique. The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle and Leo Kotke were on our play list. (Still are.)
Mr. CC's birthday is this week, so I have a present for my classic Rock Star.
Check it out. I raided one of the tape cases and altered it using the crazy fun, new stamps and Die-namics by My Favorite Things illustrator Laina Lamb. You can find all of Laina's stamp sets here and her Die-namics here. These tributes to Rock and Roll will be there after the My Favorite Things release party on March 11.
Since just about any cassette tape we have in our house is at least 20 years old, I went with an aged, vintage look (yes, that's me).
When Mr. CC turns the cassette case over, he'll see this.
The sentiment is stamped with the luscious new ink, Electric Red (available March 11 here).
And, here's the spine with a sentiment from the Journal It – Playlist stamp set.
Mr. Catered Crop's gonna think he's tripping when he sees the rest of this . . .
The cassette tape inside is actually a card. The Accent It – Cassette Tape Die-namic is the exact size and has all details of an actual cassette tape.
I hope you can see all embossed details in this picture.
Here's the inside of the cassette card.
I don't want him to be disappointed that his cassette tape look-a-like doesn't have any new music for him to jam with; so hidden behind the card is this.
That's an iTunes gift card tucked into the Gift Card Pocket – Horizontal Die-namics.
Tips & Techniques
When I was making the insert for the case I discovered that, while cassette sizes are standard, the cassette cases are not. If you're using a cassette tape that already has an insert, just cut and score your cardstock to match the cases' insert.
I just raided our supply, but I also found a site on Amazon that sells just the cases for you (see below). My insert measures 4 1/8" inches long by 4" wide. I scored it at 2-5/8" and 3-1/8" from the top.
Add black rhinestones, glitter, staples, and die cuts from the Rock and Roll Die-namics to add a little punk rock vibe.
Here's how I made this card.
- Cut a transparency sheet 4" by 5-1/4" (or use the 4" by 5-1/4" Die-Namic in the new Blueprint 1 set).
- Score and fold the transparency sheet at 2-1/2" from the top and 2-1/2" from the bottom so there's a 1/4" spine in the middle.
- Use the smallest circle in the Circle STAX 2 Die-Namic to make four holes to line up with the two holes for the spools in the middle of the cassette. Without the holes, the card won't fit into your case. The holes can be a little larger than the actual holes in the Cassette Die-namic because they'll be partially covered.
Your transparency sheet should look something like this (not to scale).
- Using the Cassette Die-namic, cut out four cassettes from black cardstock.
- Glue the four Cassettes to the front and back, top and bottom of the card so they line up. The easiest way to line them up is to eyeball the four tiny circles in the corners. When it's open and you have all four cassettes glued into place it will look like this.
- Use the Playlist stamp set and Cassette Tape Die-namic to create your cassette label. I used the Electric Red ink – so dramatic.
- Cut out two more cassettes and, following the embossing lines, cut out the part where the tape runs through the tape player.
- Use pop-up adhesives to add this piece to the top of your card. Color the outside edges of the pop-up adhesives with a black marker first so the white pop-up adhesive won't glare like a neon sign when you hold the card sideways.
Now you're ready to Rock On!
Here are the sets being revealed today. You can check out what the other designers have created at the My Favorite Things Blog. Be sure to say hey as you visit everyone for a chance to win some gift certificates.
And, here are the rest of the ingredients.
Other ingredients: American Crafts black twine, My Mind's Eye Kraft Funday 6" x 6" Designer Paper Pads; Recollections Glitter Cardstock; Copic Marker 100 (Black); Recollections Adhesive Rhinestones (Black).
I'll see you later with some more crazy fun stuff. Till then . . . Live Loud!Pin It