caring hearts card drive

You can’t live a perfect day
without doing something for someone
who will never be able to repay you.  ~John Wooden

If you just hopped here from Newton’s Nook Designs and
the Caring Hearts Card Drive,
welcome to Catered Crop!

Yacula Winterberry Wonderland

I have the honor of inspecting and investigating nursing homes which gives me special privileges – a window into the lives of amazing people.

Today I visited a facility that specializes in caring for people with Alzheimer’s disease.  I met a man there we’ll call Norm. When I asked him how the staff treated him, “oh,” he said, “they beat me every night.” He fell back into his bed, put his hand to his chest and shook with fear. I was ready to take names before his wife told me he was such a joker. He sat back up with a huge, sly smile. Got me good.

Stacey Yacula Winterberry

Norm had two dog tags around his neck. When I asked about them, he took them off to show me. He said he served 32 years in the armed forces, parachuted out of planes in the Vietnam and Korean wars and also spent time at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center with a gun shot wound and malaria. What an honor it was to meet him.

QuadCircleCard

Before I left I thanked him for his service and asked him if he would tell me one of his jokes. He hesitated and said he couldn’t. Oh dear. I felt bad because, remembering I was in a memory care unit, I thought he possibly couldn’t think of one. His eyes sparkled when he told me he couldn’t tell me a joke, because all his jokes were dirty. Got me again.

Warm Wishes Winterberry

Norm was really one of the lucky ones I met today. His wife visited him every day and he knew and remembered her. Many of the others I met today were not as fortunate. That’s why I love what Vera Yates is doing with her Caring Hearts Card Drive.

CHCD

This is Vera’s fourth year to collect holiday cards for nursing homes all across the country. Last year she collected over 3000. I know we can top that. You can get all the important details for how to get your holiday cards to Vera and earn chances for tons of fabulous prizes here: Caring Hearts Card Drive.

And, there are Prizes for this blog hop.

Lots of Prizes!

Some lucky blog hoppers are going to win prizes from Clearly Besotted Stamp, Ellen Hutson, Fresh Squeezed Stamp, Hero Arts, Inspiration Emporium, Lawn Fawn, Li’l Inker Designs, May Arts, My Favorite Things, Newton Nook & Design, Online Classes, Paper Smooches, Simon Says Stamps, Studio Calico, Tim Holts, There She Goes Stamp, and The Twinery. Gracious.

Just jump onto this hop and leave comments at the blog stops along the way. Vera will randomly pick winners from the comments, so the more stops you make and comment love you leave, the better your chances are.

For a complete list of blog hop participants and prizes, just visit Vera’s blog, Ling’s Design Studio.

Your next stop along the Caring Cards Card Drive Blog Hop
is back to Ling’s Design Studio.

Tips & Techniques

The star of my card is the darling Winterberry snowman image, part of the new Winter Wishes line by Stacey Yacula you can find at Purple Onion Designs.

To get those layered panels of four circles, I created a file using the Silhouette Studio Designer Edition software. You can download my Silhouette studio file or a .jpg file here.

Download .jpg file Download Silhouette Studio file

Vera says we need to be sure to put a message inside our cards for the nursing homes, so I decorated the inside a bit. I colored Winterberry very softly with chalk.

Winterberry

The finished size is 5-1/2″ by 5-1/2″. Here are the Copic markers I used and the rest of the ingredients.

Winterberry Markers

Screen Shot 2013-11-08 at 11.50.24 AM

Off you go. Enjoy the rest of the blog hop. I hope you’ll send some cards to Vera and, remembering what John Wooden said at the top of this post – have a perfect day.

Siggy

Winterberry3fr

1. Aww, such cute snowmen!
    Rebecca Ednie recently posted . . . Love Us Anniversary CardMy Profile

2. Your card is adorable…and your story was even nicer. Thanks so much for sharing both!

3. What a great card, lovely design and colours. Thank you for sharing all the adventures of “Norm” with us. :0
    Vicki recently posted . . . In our Thoughts…My Profile

4. Your card is absolutely adorable Linda! Thank you for sharing about ‘Norm’… my Grandma had Alzheimer’s, and it was so sad to see such a vibrant and independent woman decline that way. There are so many others like my Grandma and ‘Norm’ though, who don’t have family close to visit or support them – this card drive is such a wonderful cause!
    Hugs, Shannah xox

5. wow…your card rocks!
    Lynda recently posted . . . Baking fun with Chi Chi MemoriesMy Profile

6. Wow! Beautiful design!

7. That snowman is simply the cutest ever! Thanks for the chance to win :)

8. Great card! I love the snowman.

9. Jannette Davis says:

I love all snowmen! Super cute. Thanks for sharing.

10. Shaughn Woodruff says:

Oh my gosh, your story really hit home with me, my grandmother was in a Alzheimer’s unit until she past away a few years ago, I miss her terribly. Thank you for that story, just visiting her every week I met the nicest and warmest people. Your card is wonderful and I know it will bring joy a number of people!

11. So adorable!

12. Love the design of your snowman card. Such wonderful stitching on it too. Thanks for the inspiration.

13. Your story is the best part of this post! (altho your card is uber-cute, too!). My father-in-law has Alzheimers and altho he is still at home (goes to a Memory Disorders program during the day) the time will come when he will need a nursing home, and those caring hearts… Thanks for participating in this most worthy cause.
    Caroline B. recently posted . . . Babycakes! at Color My Heart #68My Profile

14. Kelley Petri says:

What could be cuter than snowman quadruplets??? They are “snow” cute! Thanks for warming our hearts with your cool friends! :-)
    Your card and the Norm story had me in stitches! 😉

15. barbara lassiter says:

Really cute and clever card and thanks for sharing how it was created and your story!

16. Mary-Anne V. says:

Thank you for sharing your story…its nice to hear this and be motivated to do more! Love your card and adorable snow man.

17. Wendy Orme says:

Absolutely adorable card! Loved hearing about Norm, too!

18. Loly Borda says:

Your post and card made me smile! tfs

19. so here’s to Norm! love the picture windows in your card! very nice
    thanks
    Holly

20. beautiful card!
    marybeth recently posted . . . Give a gift that gives back! WorldVision.orgMy Profile

21. You really made a cute card! The stitching adds just the finishing touch! Appreciate your story too!

22. This is oh so cute!!!! And I love the inside too!

23. Oh my your card is so adorable, I just love this little guy!

24. Thanks for sharing!!

25. Janet Sisk says:

I loved hearing about your visit to the care home. When I was in college I volunteered at a nursing home. I started visiting and walking with a woman who didn’t have anyone who visited her. So sad. There really are people in homes across our countries that don’t have friends or family that visit. I love your adorable card and I love that you are supporting such a wonderful cause. 😀

26. I just love your card…the snowmen are absolutely adorable!! Love it :)

27. Tracey Humphries says:

What cute snowmen and I love the stitching on the card.

28. such a cute snowman..love how you layered on top with a cut out circles…so gorgeous!
    Heaney recently posted . . . Candy 18/12/2013 – ScrapfriendsMy Profile

29. Beautiful card! Love the snowman 😉
    Thanks for sharing & the studio file!

30. What a fabulous card.

31. This is so cute! I love the windows!

32. Thanks for the story. I looove purple onion designs!

33. Love your winter wonderland card ~ it will definitely brighten someone’s day. How nice of you to visit Norm! Some elderly people just have no visitors so a simply Hello to them means the world. This card drive is so uplifting and beneficial to so many deserving people.

34. Wonderful card,Thanks for sharing!!!

35. So beautiful card for such a great cause! Thank you for sharing! Be blessed for what you do for all those people!!!

36. Hannah Lewis says:

Love the cute snowman peeping out from those die cut circles – thank you for sharing. Hannah x

37. linda patti says:

A D O R A B L E!!!!! love your card AND the Norm story…
    thanks for sharing both!

38. very cute snowmen! love your card!

39. Thanks so much for sharing your story and your fun card! I love the windows and someone will surely adore that you made this card for them!
    Ruth G recently posted . . . Picture this…My Profile

40. Amy Kolling says:

Oh these little folk artsy snowmen are adorable!!!

41. Angelina M says:

I really love the snowmen on your cute card.
    Your story is very touching, thank you for sharing.

42. Amante del Papel says:

is a lovely card!

43. Barbara Martin says:

Cute snowmen! Thanks for sharing Norm’s story –

44. Lovely card. The colouring is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

45. Gosh, what a cute card!

46. I love the snowmen and the window….uber cute card!!

47. Suzie McFloozy says:

Beautiful card and thanks for sharing your amazing experiences with us “Norm” touched my heart too !
    I hope you don’t mind me casing this card – it’s such a fab layout – I’ll lye you know when it’s done so you can hop on by and have a look see xx
    ((Hugs)) Suzie xoxo

48. So stunning – I love your snowman. Thank you for your anecdote – it made me smile. And thank your supporting this card drive. :)
    Ren-Yi Lo recently posted . . . [Little Tangles] Challenge #25 – Give ThanksMy Profile