5th annual caring hearts card drive

A friend knows the song in my heart
and sings it to me when my memory fails.
~Donna Roberts

CaringHeartsBloghopfr

If you just hopped here from my sweet friend Stacey Schafer’s place
and the Caring Hearts Card Drive,
welcome to Catered Crop!

Wasn’t Stacey’s bokeh card stunning?

NoPeekingGiftTag

I’m Linda McClain, and I’m so thrilled to be a part of this amazing campaign.

Before I retired from nursing last February I had the honor of inspecting and investigating nursing homes all over central Texas. My job gave me special privileges – a window into the lives of amazing people. I had a front row seat to history when the residents told me about their lives: NASA rocket scientist, championship rodeo cowboy, member of the 1950’s All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, Holocaust survivor, teacher in a one-room schoolhouse . . .

FrostyFriendsFr

My Dad used to joke that he wanted to live to be 100, shot by a jealous woman. We laughed, but then I met a 103 year old woman and realized from her story that the hardest part of aging isn’t arthritis – it’s outliving your family and friends.  This sweet lady and her husband were married for 50 years, but she had been a widow for the last 30 years. Her only surviving son was in his 80’s and unable to drive to visit her. Dad also used to say that growing old isn’t for the weak. He was right!

WarmHeart

The wonderful news is that the cards you make for Vera Yates’ and Jennifer McGuire’s Caring Hearts Card Drive really will bring smiles to these residents’ faces and brighten their holiday season. Your simple gesture will let them know that they are not forgotten.

NoPeeking

This is the fifth year for the annual Caring Hearts Card Drive to collect holiday cards for the nursing home residents. Last year the campaign distributed over 3600 cards. I know we can top that. You can get all the important details for how to get your holiday cards to Vera and earn chances for tons of fabulous prizes here: Caring Hearts Card Drive.

And, there are Prizes for this blog hop.

Lots of Prizes!

Some lucky blog hoppers are going to win prizes from Online Card Classes, Simon Says Stamp, Inspiration Emporium, Verve Stamps, Latina Crafter, May Arts, and Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking. Gracious.

Just jump onto this hop and leave comments at the blog stops along the way. Vera will randomly pick winners from the comments, so the more stops you make and comment love you leave, the better your chances are.

For a complete list of blog hop participants and prizes, just visit Vera’s blog, Ling’s Design Studio.

Your next stop along the Caring Cards Card Drive Blog Hop
is to Latina Crafter.

tips and techniques

Here are the ingredients to my card and gift tag. I created the text for the gift tag in Photoshop. You can download the .jpg file here: No Peeking.

frostymarkers

Off you go to Latina Crafter. Enjoy the rest of the blog hop. I hope you’ll send some cards to Vera and warm a heart.

Siggy

1. Cindy Greene says:

Great cards! Love the no peeking tag and have a special attachment to snowmen! Thanks for sharing your story about your Dad and your work at the nursing homes. You are a special person.

2. Your card and tag are super cute! Thanks so much for sharing the stories of the people you met.

3. Charlotte Taylor says:

I love snowmen and so you know I like you card and tag. Great job.

4. Both cards were very cute! I especially love the no peeking snowman!

5. Love both of them! Love the peeking snowman!

6. Love Your card and tag.

7. What a lovely story about your experiences as a nurse involved with nursing homes. Your card and tag are so bright and cheery!

8. Your tag is cute. I just wanted to say thank you for sharing your story and anecdotes from your time with the people in aged care facilities. They were all once some active, vibrant people with roles in life. how difficult it must be to live without your family and life partners.

9. Andrea V. says:

Oh my goodness!!! The no peeking tag is ADORABLE!! And the card is awesome too! That snowman set is now a ‘must have’!!!! Love, love, love your samples!

10. Your sweet snow people will bring joy to a senior! I sure hope to make some cards to send in.

11. Heather Lynn says:

Love snowmen. So cute. Absolutely love the inside. A family photo would be perfect with a personal.note on the left. Thanks for sharing.

12. Miriam Prantner says:

Love these snowmen! Great pieceing and great paper choices!

13. Love that color combo!! BobbisTreasure at aol dot com

14. Juan Martinez says:

Love how everything on the card come together.

15. Elizabeth G says:

Beautiful card! My favorite part is the inside!

16. Beautiful card! And reading your post made me remember my grandmother. She used to say the same thing.
    Nandini recently posted . . . A quick card…My Profile

17. Super cute tag and card!! I love the snowmen, thanks for sharing.

18. How cute are those snowmans! Love them! And love how you have chosen the pattern paper, it feats perfectly.

19. Such a cute, sweet card and tag.

20. Love the woodgrain background and this adorable snowman.

21. Chris Baker Cox says:

I love the snowmen! Too cute. I also like the colors used.

22. Heather Thompson says:

Very cute, Love the tag. very nice to see the inside of the card dolled up.

23. I love the

24. I love the story you shared about your dad and the people you’ve met in nursing homes. So many gems to learn from, if we all would just give them a little of our time.

Great card and tag!

25. love your card, it is so cute :)
    thanks for sharing your story about your Dad.

26. Love all your projects, and thanks for sharing your personal stories!

27. LOVE your projects! The snowmen in your card are adorable, and the inside sentiment goes perfectly with the image. And that little snowman covering his eyes on the tag? Priceless! Thanks so much for sharing these, and for sharing your awesome story!
    Andrea D. La Vigne recently posted . . . Two Christmas CardsMy Profile

28. I love your cute snowmen!

29. Beautiful card, I soooo need the snowman set in my life!

30. Beautiful card and I love the tag too! Tfs.

31. Adorable snowman cards! I love it!

32. The snowmen are so cute on the first card and I love the ‘No Peeking’ snowman!

33. Thanks for sharing your nursing home stories . Liked the no peeking idea.

34. Amazing projects!!! I love them!!! Thanks for sharing!! KInd regards.
    Patry Ro recently posted . . . “Eres” Sketch #41 de Latina Crafter!!!My Profile

35. I love the snowmen!

36. Nancy Carroll says:

Adorable card and tag! Love what everyone is doing for others!

37. Bonnie Johnson says:

Love your card and the gift tag. I had not heard of Caring Hearts before but I will be sending some cards along. Thank you for this opportunity.

38. Kimmer Manera says:

Thrilled to be a part of this:). Can’t wait!

39. Loly Borda says:

Sweet card and tag and the stories you shared really touched my heart! Thank you! <3

40. Linda, I loved reading about your experiences with seniors. Aren’t the elderly just so interesting to listen to when they tell about their life, hard times, good times and all their experiences? Your snowmen will definitely warm the heart of one lucky recipient. TFS your story!

41. Denise Bryant says:

Love those fun snowmen…. darling card and tag!

42. I just love your snowmen — so cute! Thank you for sharing your experiences with seniors — just another reminder of all the wonderful stories if someone takes the time to listen.